Data is a black opal mine in this new age. Those who know it’s true worth will win it all. The challenge for companies is to find data mavens who can extract insights from gazillions of clicks and billions of data points.
91% of companies say a lack of skilled professionals is the biggest hurdle in realizing data-driven decisions and making recommendations based on users’ tastes. (Forrester)
Glassdoor ranked data science hottest career of 2017. HBR dubbed it as the sexiest job of the 21st century. WEF predicted forecasted creation of new specialist roles in Big Data by 2022.
Kaggle, GitHub and other such community platforms will review your developed projects.” can change it to “Kaggle, GitHub, projectpro.io and other such community platforms will review your developed projects.
How can aspiring Big Data scientists embark on a career in Big Data?
3 Steps to Big Data Career for Beginners
Step 1: Gain tool competence
Take guidance from open-source platforms such as DataCamp, Udemy, Coursera, Code school. The programs offered will give you the right starting point.
As you browse through the course appropriate for your existing skillsets, focus on gaining these skills:
Programming: R and Python
Subject Knowledge: Multivariate Calculus; Algebra
Add on tools: SQL; JAVA; Hadoop
Step 2: Develop projects and connect to the community of Big Data Scientists
Kaggle, GitHub and other such community platforms will review your developed projects. You can also share the challenges you face.
Step 3: Validate your knowledge with industry-led certification
Professional certification reflects your technical proficiency. Earning industry-recognized certification will fasten your entry to the industry. It will also validate that you possess prerequisites a Big Data career demands.
You can opt for globally recognized Big Data certifications.
|Certifying Body||Big Data Certifications||Mode of Exam|
|Data Science Council of America (DASCA)||Offers platform-agnostic certifications for three Big Data career types – Engineer, Analyst, and Scientist. DASCA certifications are internationally reputed and its professionals are considered dexterous at handling a wide-ranging Big Data technologies and tools.
· Associate Big Data Analyst
· Senior Big Data Analyst
· Associate Big Data Engineer
· Senior Big Data Engineer
· Senior Data Scientist
· Principal Data Scientist (With 10+ experience)
|Cloudera||Specializes in certifying for the Hadoop framework. It offers three certifications for a Big Data scientist focusing on Hadoop.
· Cloudera Certified Associate (CCA)
· Cloudera Certified Professional (CCP)
· Hortonworks Data Platform (HDP)
|Dell EMC||It offers certification across two levels – for junior and seniors.
· Data Science – Associate Level
· Data Science – Specialist Level
|Both Online and Offline|
|SAS||SAS offers certification in SAS 9 software used for statistical analysis and visualization.
· SAS Certified Big Data Professional
· SAS Certified Integration Developer
· SAS Certified Data Quality Steward
|Both Online and Offline|
3 Big Data Careers You Can Choose
- Big Data Engineer
- They are proficient in many programming languages and maintain data workflows.
- They have a know-how of frameworks such as Hadoop, HIVE, NoSQL, Apache Spark, MapReduce, and others.
- Big Data Developer; Data Engineer; Technical Lead; Software Engineer; Data Architect, are some of the popular job titles for them.
How to get there? You should have hands-on knowledge of JAVA and Python. As you level up to master the skills, you can expand your skill-sets and graduate to senior-level positions.
- Big Data Analyst
- Analyst is among the most in-demand Big Data career.
- They are the source of insights for a business.
- Their core skills lie in statistics and data visualization. They are skilled in tools and libraries such as SAS miner, Excel, SPSS, etc.
- Business Intelligence Analyst; Product Manager; Product Analyst; Project Associate; Modelling Analyst; CxO, are some popular titles Big Data Analyst jobs are posted.
How to get there? You can belong to a wide range of backgrounds such as Economics, Computer Science, Engineering and Music to opt for a career as data analyst. Gain skills in the required software and platforms to get started.
- Data Scientist
- They are strong in mathematics and statistics, along with being a step ahead in technical side of Big Data.
- Usually, the design models and work with numbers.
- They have knowledge of both data engineering and analyst roles.
- Some popular job titles of a data scientists are: Data Consultant; Senior Data Scientist; Research Scientist; Principal Data Scientist; Machine Learning Expert.
How to get there? A BS or MS in Mathematics or Computer Science can give you a jumpstart to the career. These degrees are usually demanded data scientist jobs.
No matter when you start and which Big Data career role you set your heart on; once there, skill up and keep going.